The outdoor air pollution is on rising which is quite evitable, unlike the indoor air pollution. However. the myth that indoor air is not harmful has completely vanished which happens to be a great news. The awareness about IAQ has spread and the actions taken by the Corporate Company is also observed.
In addition to that, it is equally imperative to take care of the IAQ in data centers. Is’nt this astonishing enough to hear about IAQ at data centers?
Well, it has been reportedly observed that a lot of IT Companies have experienced the Data loss cases costing them a large chunk of the revenue. The major cause of this issue is the data corrosion. data corrosion is the slow degradation of the reactive chemicals by moisture, humidity, and temperature around it. This has an impact on- Data centers, datacom equipment, HVAC systems, computers, etc. are which are most vulnerable to corrosion.
Ideally, a Clean Data center mostly contains fine particulates filtration, excellent temperature control and a reasonable degree of humidity control. However. the maintenance and abiding by the said standards should be followed by every corporate company to reach that level.
Also, not every delegate would be able to quantify the response on clean IAQ at data centers and they are themselves unaware of the impact of air on the equipment being operated in the room. This is a case where the unknowns can be a real problem. Gas phase contaminants, too small to be caught by traditional HEPA filters, are present in every environment. In high enough concentrations, those contaminants have an impact on electronic equipment and human response.
How does IAQ impact Data Centres?
1. The strong chemicals such as Sulphur Oxides, Nitrogen oxides and other gases found in the urban environment are conducive of corrosion to the electronic equipment (both passive and active). These gases are usually the byproducts of the combustion of fossil fuels.
2. Board level corrosion shows itself in various forms including contaminated solder joints, corrosive shorting across conductive pathways and whiskering, which can lead to both particulate matter and shorts across contact points. These result in the shortening lifespan of the equipment.
3. In addition to this, other powerful corrosive gases which are found majorly in indoor environments are Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and fluorine which is commonly found in power and communications cables present in the data center. These compounds are a risk to the respiratory system and human eyes.
How to quantify if your data center has acceptable Indoor Air Quality Level?
G1 – Severity Level Mild
An environment sufficiently well-controlled such that corrosion is not a factor in
determining equipment reliability
G2 – Severity Level Moderate
An environment in which the effects of corrosion are measurable and corrosion may be a factor in determining equipment reliability
G3 – Severity Level Harsh
An environment in which there is a high probability that corrosive attack will occur.
These harsh levels should prompt further evaluation resulting in environmental controls
or specially designed and packaged equipment
GX- Severity Level Severe
An environment in which only specially designed and package equipment would be
expected to survive. Specifications for equipment in this class are a matter of
negotiation between user and supplier.
How to maintain good IAQ levels in data centers?
A chemical analysis can be performed to identify the gas contaminants present once the IAQ level is determined. On the removal of contaminant gases from the air, a gas absorbent media should be introduced in the environment which will bond to the contaminants instead of valuable resources like the equipment.
Continuous Air Quality Monitoring [CAM]
CAM is a Live IAQ monitoring method, operating throughout the day, for a period of 30 days. As air quality varies depending on occupancy, pollutants’ amount and type, air quality trend of each moment can be recorded.
Parameters tested: Temperature, Humidity, Particulate Matter PM2.5 and PM10 and CO2
Benefits of CAM:
- The air that surrounds the employees/building occupants is of the best quality
- Hourly, Daily, Weekly and Monthly trends of IAQ can be recorded to be analysed and preventive measures can be developed
- Source of the air quality degradation / Variation due to occupancy or other activities (cleaning/ renovation) can be identified
- Overall gradation in the normal air quality during any / particular time of the day can be identified to construct permanent solutions against the same
Thus, if you feel your Corporate Company is at risk due to the IAQ levels, why wait? Instead get indoor air quality of your data centers tested at a Certified Lab to retain the most valuable data which would accelerate your businesses.
Because prevention is always better than cure. Do not let IAQ affect uncertainties which will impact you bigtime. If you have queries regarding the same, feel free to connect with us on the following links.
For Mobile Users: Click Here
For Desktop Users: Click Here