Before we begin, here’s the house of Equinox wishing you a very Happy World Strawberry Shortcake Day! To celebrate this day with our people, we decide to get on board, two of our baking ninjas, Chef Vidita Kamat – Brand Owner, Mezclaa-Blend It! and Chef Swati Soni – Founder, That’s The Story. They are here to share with us their recipes and stories about baking the delicious strawberry shortcake to help you bake this magic!
Chef Swati Soni, a young patisserie, shared with us, not just the brilliant recipe for strawberry shortcake, but also takes us through the history of this dish.
Did you know that the first recorded recipe for Strawberry Shortcake dates back to 1847! This is a perfect delight for anyone with light layers of both biscuit and cake, with fresh strawberries and whipped cream! Without further delay, here is the recipe.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE – Recipe 1 by Chef Swati Soni
Portion: 8 triangles / circles (size 5)
Baking time: 15-20 mins
For the Almond Shortcake:
Maida – 100 g
Almond flour – 25 g (optional, can replace with equal quantity of refined wheat flour)
Caster sugar – 37 g
Baking Powder – 6 g
Butter (cubed) – 55 g (chilled)
Cream – 70 g
Milk – 30 ml
Milk – for wash
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°
- Mix flour, almond flour, caster sugar and baking powder together.
- Cut small chunks of cold butter and rub it in the dry mix with your fingers till it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Small lumps of unmixed butter are fine.
- Mix the milk and cream together in a separate bowl and add it to the flour mix.
- Mix till just combined. The dough will be soft and a little sticky. Do not over-mix to get a flaky end product.
- Line a tray with baking paper and dust it lightly with flour.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and flatten it roughly to 1/2” thickness with hands. Use a cookie cutter of your choice and cut shapes. Transfer onto the prepared tray and brush with some milk.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15-20 mins until golden brown on top.
- Once baked, cool and slice into half.
For the White Chocolate Whipped Cream:
White chocolate – 150 g (Callebaut preferable, or Vanleer)
Whipping cream – 150 g (Tropolite, Rich’s)
Vanilla bean – 1 (optional)
- Heat the cream along with scraped vanilla pod and pour over chopped chocolate.
- Let it stand for 5 mins and then stir to combine.
- Chill completely in the fridge.
- Once chilled, whip till it lightens and fluffs up.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with round nozzle.
Strawberries (cubed) – 100 g
- Take the halved shortbread and layer it with whipped ganache and strawberries.
- Sandwich it with the other half and decorate with more whipped cream, fresh strawberry halves and dust with icing sugar.
- Traditional strawberry shortcake is made using whipped cream. Chocolate lovers can go ahead and make the richer version – whipped ganache.
- Almond flour is optional and can be replaced with an equal quantity of maida in case of allergies.
- You can also use scones, vanilla sweet paste (tart dough) or any other cookie dough in place of shortbread recipe.
(Strawberry shortcake prepared by Chef Swati Soni)
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE – Recipe 2 by Chef Vidita Kamat
Chef Vidita Kamat shared with us her recipe of Strawberry Shortcake! How cool is it to have two mouth-watering recipes of the same dish, so that we can create variety right in our kitchens?
Take a look!
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Whipped cream 50 Gms
1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
Add Strawberry Crush (30 gms) or as per taste
1. In a bowl, cream sugar and Butter together. Add egg and vanilla bit by bit.make sure it starts to turn a bit pale yellow and fluffs up a bit; beat well. Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) and add alternately with milk one the dry mixture is mixed well. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 160° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
2. Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberry crush mix this together well.Add in the sliced strawberries in between with the whipped cream – strawberry flavoured. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream and fresh mint as a garnish. Serve immediately.
Did we just make your day? Have we left you wanting more of these cakes?
Like our post? Share it with your friends and colleagues and maybe you guys can have a baking competition soon?