COVID-19 cases have been on an increase; now food might not be a direct transmitter of the virus but food surface, its quality, and delivery techniques, etc. can be the cause for transmission. Needless to say, this is bound to increase the risk of not just spread of infection, but also damage to the brand as well as to the reputation of the Indian Food Industry, which is why food testing by Certified and Accredited Labs is must, to ensure safety and hygiene.
Food Label or Product Label on any food packaging have to display the Nutritional components and Ingredients present in that particular product, as mandated by FSSAI. Nutritional Labelling is an extremely important factor in the process of Food Testing and Product Analysis.
Here are the benefits:
- Helps maintain transparency among consumers
- Facilitates the choice of ‘Informed Purchase’
- Helps comply with Food Safety Regulations
- Provides complete information about the product
- Guarantees safety and security of the product and the brand
- Mentioning of Allergenic product helps prevent health hazards
- Helps food businesses identify further aspects like Label Validation, Sensory Analysis, etc
Shelf Life testing includes a collection of analytical, chemical, microbiological, and sensory tests to determine how a product changes as it ages. The tests define the better use by/sell by/best by dates. It is a step that has to be mandatorily followed before a product launch or while modifying an existing one. The shelf life analysis helps a product’s worth in many ways:
- Helps determine the product’s shelf-life.
- Manufacturers as well as consumers can pre-plan the storage of food, its space and utility.
- Analyses the product to help modify the shelf life of the product.
- Help consumers make better buying decisions resulting in fewer complaints.
- Prevents wastage of surplus food simultaneously guaranteeing food safety and quality.
- The quality of the Food Product is safeguarded.
- Decreases the risk of product recalls, avoiding expensive litigation.
This is a set of tests conducted by expert and trained panelists who analyze the product based on our 5 senses – Smell, Taste, Touch, Sight, and Auditory. It helps food businesses to understand the changes that the product requires catering to before its launch in the market.
Other than this, Sensory Evaluation is also beneficial for the manufacturers in various ways:
- Compares similarities/differences in a range of food products.
- Evaluates a range of existing food products.
- Analyze food samples for developments.
- Gauge responses to a dish/product, e.g. Acceptable or unacceptable.
- Explore specific characteristics of an ingredient or dish/food product.
- Check whether a final dish/food product meets its original specification.
- Provide objective and subjective feedback data to enable informed decisions to be made.
Food Testing is crucial for all food businesses, especially during a sensitive time like now. In fact, it is even mandated by the FSSAI as a part of the license obtaining process. Food testing helps safeguard product quality, ensure its safety and determines health benefits or risks of any product. Food business operators have the responsibility to make sure they conduct food quality monitoring to comply with the food regulations and to protect public health. Schedule a call today with our team!