Water is an element without which we humans wouldn’t be surviving and leading lives.
Yes, this statement makes us realise the importance of Water and its Water Distribution Systems. People spend their maximum time at corporate and industrial work places. Hence, corporate water supply testing is something every Facility Manager has to keep an eye on.
Before we get into the details of Corporate Water Supply Testing, let’s understand the basics:
What exactly is a water supply system?
Water supply means the outlets through which the water is passed to households, to industries and to the corporates.
How the water reaches to these places is managed by the water distribution systems. A water supply testing system consists of three basic components: the supply source, treatment of the water, and the distribution of water to the users. The objective of water testing system is to provide water to consumers with appropriate quality, quantity and pressure.
Distribution system is the description of facilities used to supply water from its source to the point of usage through which water is supplied.
A positive pressure in the water distribution system is maintained to ensure that water reaches all parts of the network.
Also at every take-off point sufficent level is maintained and to ensure that untreated water in the ground cannot enter the network.
What is corporate water supply testing ?
Corporate Water Supply Testing involves the timely check of all the water supply units which shall make the water more acceptable by improving its quality for a specific end use. It removes all the contaminants and undesirable components and reduces the concentration of the salts present in it.
The water in the distribution system can get degraded by the following ways:
1. Chemical and biological processes can occur in the water systems
2. The release of metals into the water lead to undesirable aesthetic and health effects because of corrosion of metal pipes in the system
3. Release of iron from unlined iron pipes can result in customer reports of ‘red water’ at the end point
4. Release of copper from copper pipes can result in customer reports of ‘blue water’ and a metallic taste
5. Release of lead can occur from the solder used to join copper pipe together or from brass fixture
6. Break-down or design fault in the sanitation system or by chemical contaminants can cause water contamination
7. Cross contamination of the different pipes can lead to adverse effects
8. Moist tap nozzles can lead to microbiological growth
9. Reactive water storage materials that contaminate purified water supply
What would be the possible solutions to water contamination?
1. By controlling the pH and alkalinity by regular corporate water supply testing
2. Compliance consultancies shall assist with all the formalities that can be done for the audit and inspection procedures
3. Complete assessment from the source of water supply to its end
4. Different pipelines should be properly analysed and checked to prevent the consequent problems that might occur
5. Training programs should be given to prevent contamination of secondary points for e.g., (avoid touching water-bottles directly to the taps)
6. Water Storage in the company should not be made by the materials which are reactive
Benefits of corporate water supply testing?
1. The organisation and industries are into safe zone once when the quality check of all the water systems is implemented.
2. Awareness about drinkable and non drinkable corporate water supply testing will be spread in the adjacent surrounding .
3. Ensures trust among the employees and increases the goodwill of an organisation
4. Corporate water supply testing campaigns should be initiated for the corporates.
Corporate Water supply testing should be implemented in Enterprises for ensuring the overall health of the employees and the staff is well-maintained. Any degradation found in the potable and non-drinking water can lead to sick employees, increased levels of absenteeism, reduced team and company productivity, leading to poor organisation performance, hampering its brand equity.
Looking for India’s Leading Water Testing Laboratory for your company water supply testing? Click here to Connect with them!